|Explosives Plant C
|Supplied fresh milk daily, made from
unsalted butter, dried skim milk
powder and water, to the 20-30,000
workers & residents of Nitro.
|The "Milk Plant" was a mechanical dairy - affording an adequate milk supply to a
city of 25,000 population in the absence of cows - was a commercial reality never
before heard of, a triumph that emerged from war-created difficulties in Nitro, West
Virginia. It was the first commercial demonstration of the possibilities of producing
fluid milk from a cowless dairy in the United States.
In 1921, Luigi Lemma purchased the Milk Plant & turned it into a thriving Ice Plant
business until he closed it down & retired in 1959.
Currently, this site is the location of the Cornerstone Church of God, who purchased
the property, tore down the old Ice Plant & built a church there.
|1918 Report of the Surgeon General
"Scientific American" Magazine Article, issue of April 23, 1921
"Milk Without Cows"
Charleston Daily Mail, October 5, 1918
"Milk Factory at Nitro is Large Institution"