Shelton Cemetery Names in hi-lighted in YELLOW are buried in this cemetery
Nitro, Kanawha County, West Virginia The cemetery was visited on March 22, 2009 and was quite a mess.
Several stones had been rolled over the hill & many were broken.
Only 4 stones were identifiable.
Click the name of anyone buried here to see their grave
Thomas M. SHELTON
b.1813
d. 1896 Kanawha Co., WV Henrietta Almeda SHELTON
buried: Shelton Cemetery, Nitro, WV b.1842 Barboursville, VA  
  d.1917 Kanawha Co., WV Robert Lee BLACKWOOD
  buried: Shelton Cemetery, Nitro, WV b.1865
Ameliza LONG  
b.1815  
  Annie M. BLACKWOOD    
  b.05/03/1867  
  d.09/26/1898  
  buried: Shelton Cemetery, Nitro, WV  
  W.L. PORTER
 
  Charles Kenton BLACKWOOD    
DIRECTIONS:   b.12/11/1870  
Take Water Tank Road off 3rd Avenue.   d.04/10/1942 Kanawha Co., WV - buried: Pt.Pleasant, WV Neale BLACKWOOD
After arriving at the water tank, go up   Dredgeboat Operator, US Government WVU Class of 1925
the hill on the right side of the tank.    
Go to the left behind and above it.   Attarah BLACKWOOD
Continue up the hill to the left of the   Margaret L. NEALE
tank (northwest) for about 250 yards.   Lena BLACKWOOD
The cemetery is at the highest point.   b.1873
 
 
  John C. BLACKWOOD
  b.01/15/1876
  d.04/16/1941 - buried: Cunningham @ St.Albans
 
 
  Joel Kenna BLACKWOOD
  b.1879
 
William Robert BLACKWOOD
d.1835 Front Royal, VA
d.1897 Kanawha Co., WV
buried: Shelton Cemetery, Nitro, WV
   
Thomas Shelton's house was on the river end of present day West 12th Street in Nitro. He had his own "steamboat landing" on the Kanawha River.  He owned 530 acres of land that included
what is now "downtown Nitro".  He was a properous farmer who once rescued the Baptist Academy in St. Albans from financial problems with a $10,000 donation to keep them open.  In
appreciation of the help, they later changed the name of the school to "Shelton College".  When Thomas Shelton died in 1896, his estate went to Mrs. Charles (Margaret) BLACKWOOD, his
grand-daughter, who sold it to the US Government in 1917 to build Explosives Plant "C".  There is a picture of Thomas Shelton's West 12th Street house on page 21 of Bill Wintz' Nitro book.
   
The History of West Virginia, Old and New, Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc., Chicago and New York, Volume III, pg. 451-452
CHARLES K. BLACKWOOD, a representative business man and progressive citizen of Point Pleasant, Mason County, is here president and treasurer of
the Western Rivers Company and secretary of the Point Pleasant Grocery Company, of which latter corporation adequate record is given in the
personal sketch of its president, P. L. Evans, on other pages of this volume.
The Western Rivers Company was founded in 1913, the interested principals in the organization thereof having been C. K. Blackwood, Homer Smith,
J. S. Spencer, M. T. Epling and C. R. McCulloch. Mr. Blackwood became president and treasurer of the company and Mr. Epling, its general manager.
The original capital stock of $20,000 has been increased to $100,000. The company instituted operations as a river-dredging concern, and with its
its dipper dredges did important channel work for the United States Government.  Derrick boats and other modern facilities were later added to
the equipment, and the business of the company now includes general contracting in river improvements, including rip-rap stone work, removing of
obstacles to navigation, laying of gas mains across rivers, placing intake pipes for water works, erecting filtering cribs, etc. In 1920 the
company instituted the conversion of its plant at Point Pleasant into a sand and gravel collecting outfit, and this department of the enterprise
has since received major attention. On the 1st of January, 1922, J. F. McCullouch became general manager of the company, after purchasing the
interest of his predecessor, Mr. Epling. The company gives employment to an average corps of twenty-five men, operates a suction sand-digger of
the best modern type, two derrick boats, one steamboat and six barges, all used exclusively in sand and gravel work. The sand and gravel thus
removed by the company are utilized largely in the improving of roads and for commercial purposes. The company has facilities for the handling of
200,000 tons of sand and gravel annually, and the material excavated is derived from virtually illimitable sources, so that its commercial value
is certain to be appreciated for generations to come. The material is nearly all granite, with some quartz, results from glacial action, while in
the hills are to be found great deposits of the finest type of sand- stone. The rivers of this section produce in the ratio of two parts of
gravel and one of sand-the most desirable combination for concrete work.  Point Pleasant, at the month of the Kanawha River, which here debouches
into the Ohio River, seems to supply the ideal combination for such purposes, localities nearer the head of the Ohio River lacking the requisite
proportion of sand.
Mr. Blackwood was born in Kanawha County, this state, on the llth of December, 1870. His grandfather, William Blackwood, came from Warren County,
Virginia, to what is now Cabell County, West Virginia, in 1854, and here passed the remainder of his life.
In that county his son, William R. Blackwood, married Miss Henrietta Shelton, and in 1866 the young couple removed to Kanawha County. William R.
Blackwood having previously served as a soldier of the Confederacy in the Civil War and having been captured by the enemy in 1864 at Winchester,
was held a prisoner until the close of the war. He became one of the successful farmers of Kanawha County, where his old homestead is now owned
by the Government and is the site of the wonderful industrial town of Nitro, there established for industrial production in connection with the
nation's participation in the World War. William R. Blackwood died in 1897, and his widow remained on the old homestead until her death in 1917,
at the age of seventy-five years.
Their son Charles K. Blackwood, of this sketch, was born and reared on this old homestead, and his youthful education included a two years' course in a
college at Barboursville.
As a young man Charles K. Blackwood taught school two years, and for seven years thereafter he was employed in the office of a contracting
company. He has been a resident of Mason County for the past twenty-five years, was one of the organizers of the Point Pleasant Grocery Company,
of which he is still secretary, and to the affairs of which he gave his effective supervision for a period of ten years. He now centers his
activities in his executive service as president and treasurer of the Western Rivers Company.  Mr. Blackwood is a stanch supporter of the
principles of the democratic party, and was twice nominated by his party for representative in the House of Delegates of the State Legislature.
He was for two terms a member of the Point Pleasant Board of Education, he is actively identified with the Kiwanis Club in his home city, and
here he and his wife are zealous communicants of Christ Church, Protestant Episcopal, he being a member of the vestry of this parish. In the
time-honored Masonic fraternity he is affiliated with the local Blue Lodge and Chapter, of the latter of which he is a past high priest, and at
Point Pleasant also he is a past commander of Franklin Commandery No. 17, Knights Templars, his Mystic Shrine membership being in Beni-Kedem
Temple in the City of Charleston.
Charles K. Blackwood wedded Miss Margaret L. Neale, daughter of the late E. L. Neale, who was a representative agriculturist and stock-grower near Ben
Lomond, Mason County. The early educational advantages of Mrs. Blackwood included those of the Lewisburg Female Seminary. Mr. and Mrs. Blackwood
have two children: Neale, a member of the class of 1925 in the University of West Virginia, where he is taking an engineering course; and
Attarah, who is attending the public schools of Point Pleasant.