|History of Nitro - Post WWI
|The City of Nitro was incorporated
on Feb. 20, 1932
|The Charleston Industrial Corporation
On November 3, 1919, a state charter was granted to the Charleston Industrial Corporation
which was organized for the specific purpose of purchasing and redeveloping the surplus
government property at Nitro. The "CIC" purchased "Explosives Plant C" along with the
entire City of Nitro for $8,551,000.
The St. Albans - Nitro Bridge
Built by the City of St. Albans, the new bridge across the Kanawha opened to the public on
Nov. 12, 1934. It was the only bridge between Charleston and Pt. Pleasant.
Air Mail Pickup In Nitro
The method of exchanging mail in transit (without landing) was adopted for experimental airmail
routes in Ohio, New York, Pennsylvania, Kentucky, and West Virginia. In all, more than 150
post offices were served. This style of pick up and delivery service began on May 12, 1939. The
mail contractor that provided the planes was All American Airways Company, which later
became known as Allegheny Airlines, and then US Air.
Nitro City Government
The 1st Mayor of Nitro was E.E. "Bert" Higginbotham, elected by the people in April 1932.
The 1st City Recorder was Timothy A. "Tom" Lewis.
|Click any HEADING below for more information